This 8-week course gently leads you into the practice of mindfulness meditation. Each class provides some theory along with guided meditation practice.
The course is based on a curriculum developed by Ian Gawler and Paul Bedson from the Gawler Foundation.
During the course we’ll practice mindfulness of sounds, breathing, the body, emotions and thoughts. And we’ll discuss:
- preparation for meditation, including your environment, relaxation, posture, and attitude
- obstacles to mindfulness and how to deal with them
- the stress response and the relaxation response
- thinking and awareness
- contents of awareness and qualities of awareness
- cognitive and affective aspects of emotions
- movement and stillness
- mindfulness in daily life.
- a PDF version of the course notes
- links to extra reading material
- access to guided meditations for the duration of the course.
You should be willing to set aside 15-30 minutes each day to practice.
If you have a mental health condition, you’ll need to get a clearance from your doctor or psychologist before attending this course.
Times, dates and location
The course is run by Dey Alexander, a meditation teacher registered with Meditation Australia.
Background questionnaire and waiver
After you register, we will email you a link to a background questionnaire and waiver. Each attendee must fill this out and agree to the waiver before the course starts.
We don’t offer refunds once the course has started because:
- we decide whether to go ahead with the course based on balancing the income from enrolments against the costs
- you get access to the course materials from the first session.