This 8-week course gently leads you into the practice of mindfulness meditation. Each class provides some theory along with guided meditation practice.
The course is based on a curriculum developed by Ian Gawler and Paul Bedson from the Gawler Foundation.
During the course we’ll practice mindfulness of sounds, breathing, the body, emotions and thoughts. And we’ll discuss:
- preparation for meditation, including your environment, relaxation, posture, and attitude
- obstacles to mindfulness and how to deal with them
- the stress response and the relaxation response
- thinking and awareness
- contents of awareness and qualities of awareness
- cognitive and affective aspects of emotions
- movement and stillness
- mindfulness in daily life.
- a PDF version of the course notes (or a printed version if the course is run face-to-face)
- links to extra reading material
- access to guided meditations for the duration of the course.
Classes are recorded so you won’t miss out if you can’t attend each week. Recordings will be available for up to 4 weeks after each class.
You should be willing to set aside 15-30 minutes each day to practice.
If you have a mental health condition, we strongly recommend you get a clearance from your doctor or psychologist before registering to attend this course.
Times, dates and location
The course is run by Dey Alexander, a meditation teacher registered with Meditation Australia.
Background questionnaire and waiver
After you register, we will email you a link to a background questionnaire and waiver. Each attendee must fill this out and agree to the waiver before the course starts.
We don’t offer refunds once the course has started because:
- we decide whether to go ahead with the course based on balancing the income from enrolments against the costs
- you get access to the course materials from the first session.